Tuesday, June 25, 2013

First Pumpkin Harvests
of 2013

While inspecting my large Rouge Vif D'etampes pumpkin, I noticed a few small gnaw marks on the bottom part of it.  Fearing that rats or some other critter might be starting to get interested in it, I decided to try to cover it with a fabric bag to protect it. While trying to move the pumpkin, I head a crack,  and snapped my stem off my pumpkin!  Thankfully, I think its mostly ripe now, so I think I will let it cure in the garage a few weeks, and then I will begin to make some pumpkin pies, pumpkin bread, pumpkin pancakes!!


I weighed it, and its about 23lbs.  Many of the sugar pie pumpkins have also ripened.  Here are my three little "punkins" holding 2 Sugar Pie pumpkins, and the previous pumpkin. I've picked 4 Sugar Pie pumpkins already, and there are about 8 others on the vines.





No comments:

Post a Comment