Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Intro

Decided to start blogging my gardening adventures in my back yard of our house in Garland, TX. 
Now, its not a very big area I have for gardening, but I love trying to grow a variety of things. The picture below shows our house, and the green area I have highlighted is the small area I have to garden, next to the fence. But due to its direction it gets a good amount of sunlight. The rest of the yard is heavily shaded by trees.


Now its the beginning of the fall but lets recap this year so far...
 This year has been fairly good.  In the early spring I successfully grew spinach, lettuce, green beans, turnips.  Then my tomatoes and cucumbers did real well.
Here is a picture of my main garden area in late May

I had a lot of wildflowers growing next to the garden.  My spinach had bolted, but I got lazy and didn't pull it out, and my pole beans were doing very nicely.

  The  corn was a flop, as I only got a few ears.  I also grew some acorn squash, but the Squash vine borers did them in, but fortunately not before I was able to harvest some fruit.  Since then I have taken on a personal challenge to defeat those buggers.   Doubtlessly you'll be reading much about that battle, as well as other gardening adventures, victories, and defeats.


No comments:

Post a Comment