Monday, September 17, 2012

Pumpkin update 9/17

Here is an update on my small pumpkin patch.  So far I have 3 that are turning orange. Here's one:

This morning I had a large beautiful female flower open up:
And here is a male flower. You can see the this one has a bee inside it that came out totally covered in pollen.

Here is a picture of a one that set a few weeks ago and is my biggest so far:
And the past 2 days I have had 2 more fruit set.  Here is a pic of one of them.
My goal is to have at least 10 pumpkins.  Counting the 2 freshly set ones, and the flower that opened this morning, that makes it 7.  I see some more coming along too. Unfortunately it seems at least half the female flowers become yellow and die before even opening, but I find once they open, they usually survive.
I have been monitoring the vines for SVB eggs again, and have continued to bury more vines.  The past few day I have not found any SVB eggs, and this weekend I was out quite a bit and didnt see any moths. Hope they are done for the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment