Wednesday, March 27, 2013

My Plants Survived!!


I was worried about my Hubbard squash, acorn squash, and Cinderella pumpkin seedlings, but they survived the cold snap we had the past two nights. I covered them up at night with big glass bowls, and a blanket.  It was in the 50s during the day, and low 30's at night.  

Here is a picture of the Hubbard squash:
 As you can see, its developing its secondary leaves now.  Its  a pretty big seedling, as you can see compared to the gallon plastic jug next to it.  There is another plant on the other side of the jug, and its doing well too.

 The Rouge Vif D'Etampes  pumpkins seedlings survived too.  Here is one of them


Our pea plants are getting big too. They didn't mind the cold at all, and I didn't bother covering them either.


Here is a picture of the Table Queen Acorn Squash.  I also had this one covered well the past 2 night.  Its also developing its secondary leaves.

I had mentioned before that my son Joshua is working towards his gardening merit badge.  Last week we pulled out all his remaining turnips.  They were really nice size.  Here is his bumper crop!!

With it almost being April, I am pretty sure we had the last freeze.  Now things will be growing like gangbusters.  My garden will begin transitioning to more warm weather plants, such as green beans, squash, okra... and whatever else I have space for!

No comments:

Post a Comment