Saturday, April 6, 2013

April 6th, Beautiful Day

Very nice day today, with highs in the upper 70s, and sunny skies.  Spent the most of the day at church,    (Watermark Community Church) attending a Training Day event.  We had a great afternoon session listening to Frank Turek, from CrossExamined.org , presenting his lesson titled I Don't Have Enough Faith to be an Atheist. 

Got home in the late afternoon, and worked on planting some more seedlings that I had started in pots. Planted some more spinach seedlings and mustard.  We'll see how the spinach does, it being rather late, and not long until we start getting pretty warm around here.  

That's probably the last of the cool weather plants I put in, until late summer.  I planted some beans, both pole and bush beans, and the seedlings are starting to come out ( in the back behind the small fence section.)   The Cinderella pumpkins (below) are growing a bit more.  


Here is the Table Queen Acorn.  Its doing nicely,   I have mulched it pretty well with glass clippings.
 The  2 following pictures are of the Hubbard Squash.  They are getting pretty big, as as you can see in the pics, they are even developing side-shoots.  I even saw a tiny flower starting to develop on once of them.

I intend to cover most of my squash, but am waiting until probably the end of the month, as I heard the SVB should not come out until maybe early May.  I have checked for SVB eggs, but have not seen any yet.  So as of yet, the battle has not begun.


The peas are doing awesome. The plants  have gotten huge, and have beautiful white blossoms.  They are about to outgrow their tomato cages I am using as a trellis.  Here is a picture of them, along with some of the cabbage and collards.  The cabbage has been a huge success, especially for being the first time planting them this winter. We've harvested at least 10 heads, and have enjoyed making cole slaw, boiled cabbage, stuffed cabbage, and even egg rolls. Will definitely plant them again this fall.  



I also planted some Sugar Pie Pumpkin seedlings at various places around the yard.  My daughters were playing with a bunch of seeds from last year's crop, and put a bunch of seeds in a bowl with some mud (I think they were play-cooking).  Well the seeds sprouted, and I felt bad for the seedlings. so I planted a bunch of them.  So that side of my back yard may be totally overrun with squash vines if these make it.  We'll see!  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment